Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sore muscles and tasty mussels...

On Wednesday we decided to catch the underground up to Sacre Coeur and after poking around there head back down to our place on foot. Sacre Coeur is the highest point in Paris so we were anticipating a nice view. After lots of stairs...I'm getting sick of stairs...we reached our destination. It was beautiful as most of these buildings are. When we went in a choir of nuns were singing and it was very nice.




We decided to climb up into the tower to get the best view...only 200 steps this time...easy! They were a little tight and twisty but fun.

The view from the top was fantastic!

After we finished poking around the church from the tower to the catacombs we made our way down for lunch. We went to a place recommended in the Lonely Planet book and it was yummmmmmmmy! This pictures is from the window that we ate beside.


After lunch we made our way back down to the area we are staying in. We saw lots of nice shops and passed the Opera House...


...unfortunately nothing is playing right now...that would have been fun...and passed the Moulin Rouge...

Eventually we made it back home after a very long day of walking. I am sick of walking! Mike wanted to head over to the Eiffel Tower at night and after some coaxing I agreed. I am really glad we went. He took this picture that I think looks fake but since I was there I know it is not.


And another one. I think the Eiffel Tower was one of my favourite things on this trip...even though it was a tourist trap!

Today we headed up to Versailles to see how the other half lived...in the 17th century. It was beautiful but it is undergoing an extensive restoration so there was a lot less to see than we had hoped. All the public rooms were open but we really wanted to see some of the inner workings of the palace (kitchen, stables etc). Anyways, we were glad we went.

This is the Hall of Mirrors. I think I was born into the wrong family...but at least I still have my head attached to my body!The gardens were expansive but sterile. That seems to be the Parisian way though. Heather got a hankering to rent a row boat so here is a picture of her and Andrew rowing. Once she got facing the right way she was pretty good.

With sore feet and tired muscles we headed back to Paris and had a fun dinner of mussels. I have never had mussels and they were pretty good. We topped off the day with more gelato and are now going to bed...goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment